Tuesday 24 December 2013

Nurture 1314

Everybody is doing it so here we go. In no particularly order here is my nurture 1314 lists:

1. Family - it's been a brilliant year for the Collin household with my daughter Bella settling in very well to her new school and Toby starting reception at the local infant school. Before are doing well even if Toby is a cheeky chappy just like his father! It was great to witness both of them completing their 400m & 25m badges recently. Both keep me busy and very active but I wouldn't change anything.

2. Blogging - what a year. I have blogged several times and starting to really enjoy it.

3. SLT secondment - it's been mad but worth it. I have learnt so much, not just about SLT but about me as a leader.

4. Still (just about) playing football  having for the last two seasons saying I'm going to retire. It was great to play in the same team as my brother towards the end of last season when I visited home. However, I'm currently still playing and enjoying it. Recently I received the oppositions man of the match, the first time I have been nominated for this in 2 years. I felt good, still got it at 37!!!

5. Teachmeets - this year I have attended two Teachmeets and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

6. Twitter - absolutely amazing.

7. DIY - learning every time! The house is still standing!

8. Interview for Assistant head - recently I had an interview for the head of Post 16 at my school. It was my line managers job as she was retiring. It was a great experience but I felt it wasn't for me. I didn't get the job but I learnt so much from the process.

9. Supporting PGCE & NQT staff - I have really enjoying supporting PGCE students and more recently an NQT. Both are outstanding teachers and I'm very pleased how these teachers are progressing in their current careers.

10. Movember - raised £168 with two other members of the PE team.

11. Leading bets league!! - yes I do bet but only for fun. I am currently leading a group of four that put a smal amount of money together and select two games each to bet on. At the end of the season, the individual with the most money doesn't have to pay for an evening out. So far I'm winning, it not big money but it's fun.

12. #TLT13 - thoroughly enjoyed this event at Southampton university organised by David Fawcett and Jenny Ludgate. Looking forward to next years event.

13. Yr 11 - I joined the school at the same time as the current year 11. They are a brilliant year group and seen them grow into bright, mature (well most) idependent individuals. The girls recently won the Bristol Schools Netball competition and the boys won the Rugby competition. Both teams have been losing finalists during the last two years, so I'm very proud of their success this year.
Aims for 2014:
1. To become a member of SLT.
2. To help organised an Cotham teachmeet.
3. To further improve my teaching & leadership.
4. To make time to relax in the evenings and put the ipad down!
5. Read more books! Probably end up reading newspapers instead.
6. To actually learn French and not rely on my delboy French!!
7. Not too raise my voice. Enough said!!!
8. To present at a teachmeet. Which one who knows but my confidence is growing.
9. To score a goal before the end of the season. It's been too long, nearly three seasons since I last scored a goal. I blame my 50p head for that!
10. Collaborate more either in school or with other teachers in or around Bristol
11. Brew my own ale. I blame my neighbour!!
12. Get fitter!! Finding time to train.
13. Lead the school ski trip. Currently in the process of organising the 2014 and just booked the 2015 trip.
14. Continue to inspire and lead the pe department.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Jamie - have really enjoyed reading so many of these #nurture1314 posts.

    With your SLT plans - it's just important to give some thought to what kind of job in what kind of school - and think about what you would hope to be able to contribute to such a role in addition to what you will gain from the experience. Spend some time considering the differences between middle and senior leadership, maybe, and think how best to prepare yourself to make that leap.

    Hope you and your family are enjoying a very good Christmas break, and very best wishes for a happy and successful 2014.

    ReplyDelete